Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > Question about programming and new purch...
Question about programming and new purchase

5011 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: 2016-03-22 20:53:13

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    deanrantala
    2016-03-19 06:39:17
     I am considering purchasing a Maxisys Pro MS908P w/ programming interface.

First question: new purchase includes a full year of subscription and updates - correct?

Second question: does this include Mercedes SCN coding and reflashing, or do I need to purchase this subscription separately via startekinfo?

I understand this unit can be used for J2534 pass thru stuff, but the literature and marketing makes it seem as though BMW and Mercedes programming subscriptions are included with the Autel yearly subscription.

In other words: out of the box (and once my device is activated and set up), will I be able to perform SCN coding without any further purchasing?

Also, how well is the SCN coding supported?  Are most modules supported, or is it limited to engine/trans?

Finally, how about BMW?  Is BMW flash programming subscription service included as part of the Autel yearly subscription?  Or do I need to purchase additional subscriptions via bmwtechinfo?

- Dean

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    deanrantala
    2016-03-20 03:01:49
    Nobody?

Seriously... I figured of all the people on here that own this unit, I would have got like 50 replies... Is this product even real?  

Surely SOMEBODY who purchased this unit quickly learned what it was able to do and can report back as to the subscription stuff..

•   Level 6   
    (516) points
    hondaman219

2016-03-20 12:51:03 (Reply to:deanrantala)

ok man I will try to help. I have owned a 905 mini for about 1.5 years now. I cannot do programming with it but it has the same operating system as the 908. The tool includes 1 year of free updates. This includes free access to bmw bens programming. I do not know what level of programming you will get. It is not from the oem but what autel has on there servers. We use to have gm but not any more. The update for the 908p is a lot more money then the 908 about $1200 a year. You can use the j tool and a laptop to access other oem pay sites to allow programming. I do not think it will program all makes and models. Many people find the additional money for the 908p update too much just to access  bmw bens. Another option would be a 905 and just buy a programmer and use it with a laptop.Many aftermarket people make these. Software for the 905-908 was better in the beginning. I stopped updating in august 2015. The tool is a nice tool but has had issues that never seem to get resolved. You could buy the 905 mini and a aftermarket j programming tool for about half the price of the 908p. If programming is what you really want to do then I would look at a dedicated laptop and Quality j tool then pay the oem for there software. The 908p will not do everything you need it to. Maybe someone with the 908p can give you more info about what autel has available for programming software in there servers. Hope this helps...

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    deanrantala
    2016-03-20 23:45:06
    Thanks a million hondaman219.

I currently own an Autologic and was paying $3600/year for BMW, Benz and VW.  But 99% of everything I have ever done was BMW and Benz.

I also have INPA and the likes - so I can always use that if i'm in a pinch.

I am sending the Autologic back next month (on lease) and feel this is a FAR better value for the money.  The Autologic was just over $30k with the 3 lines I have on it, so hearing people online complain about $1,200/year and $3k for a tool is kinda strange from my shoes.  Of coarse, most here do not specialize in BMW and Benz.

For the record, I am 99.999999% certain that the BMW and Benz programming service Autel offers is really a proxy service.  Similar to what Autologic does.  This HAS to be the case in Benz SCN coding: only Mercedes has the master lookup for the SCN strings.  Autel likely has a paid subscription for each and - using their own API - relays the coding requests to and from. 

I also own an INPA laptop setup with all the daten goodies, so where there may be gaps in BMW programming/coding, I can always pull the laptop out.  The advantage with the Autel being: it is in english.

I also own a STAR setup (china clone) which can fill in any gaps with Benz diagnostics, so the ONLY gap I would be left with is any SCN coding or flash programming voids with the Autel Benz side.

$3k and $1200/year?  Hell yeah.  I can do 3 flash jobs a year and make that back (usually do at least several).

I am going to do a tad more research and am likely going to purchase the tool.  I just hope enough others who do what I do find out about this tool/service and keep Autel in business.

- Dean

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    deanrantala
    2016-03-20 23:47:03
     BTW.. is http://www.autelshop.com/ a legit site selling authorized versions?

I do not want to get into buying a clone that will not register!

•   Level 6   
    (516) points
    hondaman219

2016-03-21 00:31:50 (Reply to:deanrantala)

Look at aeswave.com. They have the 908p for 2,299.  I have purchased from them and the service was great. Super fast shipper. I do not know if autelshop is a usa distributor. I bought the inspection camera from them and it came from china. Sounds like you have a handle on what you need. Hope autel works well for you.

•   Level 9   
    (3413) points
    Support02

2016-03-21 08:00:43

Sorry to reply you a little late. For your questions, please refer to our reply:
    1. Once you purchased the products, you can enjoy a full year updating starting from the registration date.
    2. Maxisys Pro and J2534 can support to do SCN coding on Benz cars, without the subsribtion from OEM site. And also our Maxisys pro can support to program BMW. In middle of this year, we will support to program Ford.

Hope the above information is clear for you.

•   Level 5   
    (275) points
    jbrheaume

2016-03-22 20:53:13 (Reply to:deanrantala)

I second the referral to AESWAVE.com , great guys and greater customer service.
  Total1 Pages